Just northeast of Atlanta on Peachtree Street, Brookhaven can be found between some of Atlanta’s most desirable areas. Buckhead is to its south, Sandy Springs to its west, Chamblee to the east and Dunwoody to the north. Popular neighborhoods in Brookhaven include Ashford Park, Drew Valley, Hillsdale, and Lynnwood Park. This unincorporated city has become one of Metro Atlanta’s most affluent neighborhoods, with a median household income of $236,393.
10 Reasons to Live in (and Love) Brookhaven:
- Location, location, location — Brookhaven residents can easily access the interstate (I-285, GA 400 and I-85), shopping, restaurants, nightlife, and anything else you need usually less than 5 minutes away.
- Low Property Taxes – Because Brookhaven is in unincorporated DeKalb County, just outside the Atlanta city limits, there are no city property taxes to pay. Combined with moderate home prices, this makes Brookhaven one of the most affordable places to live inside the perimeter. ** Please note that a portion of Historic Brookhaven is located in Fulton County, so the taxes are a bit higher, but it is such a stunning area that you probably wouldn’t mind paying a little extra every year to live there!
- TOWN Brookhaven – Just opened in 2011, Town Brookhaven is a new mixed-use development located on Peachtree Road. In addition to living space, Town Brookhaven has drawn some of Atlanta’s hippest restaurants and shops including Noche, The Flying Biscuit, Swirl, Salon Red and Boogaloo’s. Town Brookhaven also features a Moe’s, Marble Slab Creamery, Costco, Marshall’s, Publix, LA Fitness and Cinebistro, a dine-in movie theater.
- Brookhaven Station – This plaza has been considered the heart of Brookhaven for many years, but has recently seen a renaissance with the purchase of Hudson Grille by Atlanta restaurateurs Metrotainment Cafes, the owners of Atlanta favorites Cowtippers, Einstein’s and Joe’s on Juniper. Brookhaven Station is the center of Brookhaven’s nightlife. Pub 71, across the courtyard from Hudson Grille is another late-night favorite and relaxing on the patio at the Brookhaven Mellow Mushroom is a great way to spend a weekend afternoon.
- Great line up of events and festivals - Over the last few years, the event planning committees have been pulling out all the stops. There is now a Brookhaven Beer Festival, Arts Festival, Chili Cook-off, 5K Run (Brookhaven Bolt) as well as a weekly Farmer’s Market.
- Schools – Excellent Public Schools, including Sarah Smith Elementary, one of the finest elementary schools in Georgia. Brookhaven residents also give Ashford Park and Montgomery Elementary Schools rave reviews.
- Diversity – Brookhaven includes one of Atlanta’s greatest treasures, the Buford Highway Corridor, famous for its ethnic diversity. On Buford Highway, you will find Hispanic, Asian, American and African communities, each of which contributes to the delicious and diverse cuisine available in this area.
- Transportation – One of the nicest MARTA stations in Atlanta is located in the heart of Brookhaven. Every day, you will see people walking to and from the station, making it feel like a real “neighborhood.” Brookhaven will also be on the up and coming Atlanta Beltline, a light rail system that will connect more than 40 Intown Atlanta neighborhoods.
- Oglethorpe University – A well-respected private university located on Peachtree Road, Oglethorpe University is the pride of Brookhaven. Its beautiful grounds and historic buildings bring charm to the more recently developed Brookhaven. Additionally, it’s the center of culture in Brookhaven, housing both the Oglethorpe University Museum of Art and the Georgia Shakespeare Festival.
- Something for everyone – Brookhaven is home to a wide array of small neighborhoods, including Ashford Park, Brookhaven Heights, Drew Valley, HillsDale, Lynwood Park, Brookhaven Fields and (our favorite), Historic Brookhaven. Homes range in price from the low $200s to as high as $5.0 million — and the architectural styles range from charming cottages to newer traditional homes to historic mansions.
Want to learn more about this popular Atlanta neighborhood? Call Kerry and the Nest Atlanta team anytime at 404.721.3001 or you can also visit our Brookhaven Atlanta Neighborhood Guide. We would love to show you around one of our favorite communities!
Thinking of selling your Brookhaven home?
Ask us about our tech-savvy home marketing strategy and our new “fair & flexible” listing commission plan.
Posted by: Kerry Lucasse | Nest Atlanta Real Estate Group at Ian Marshall Realty | 404.721.3001 | NestAtlanta.com
Ian Marshall Realty | 404.281.6350 | 303 Perimeter Center North | Atlanta, GA 30346